Welcome to My Blog!

Hi! Thanks for visiting! If you have a blog or other favorite website you'd like me to check out, let me know! And, please, comment on my posts--I'd like to hear from you.
--Ms. Molly



Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicago Layout with Elemental and Typeset

This layout was so fun to make and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  (The sound you hear is me blowing my own horn.).  The idea was copied straight from my current favorite creative inspirational book, Playing with Paper by Angelia Wigginton.  (I plan to do a post later today dedicated to how great this book is.)

I needed lots of patterns of paper that would compliment each other.  Elemental and Typeset, both new from Close to My Heart, work GREAT together.  Elemental papers are shown in the pic toward the left, and Typeset are in the upper center.

What really makes this layout representative of Chicago, is the shape of this building.  It definitely looks like the Sears Tower with its two big antenna things.  Technically, it's called the Willis Tower now (I had to look that up, because I couldn't remember the new name and probably never will).  And, technically, it's the John Hancock Building that is shaped like the building in my layout with the sloping sides, but oh well, it looks like Chicago.

I made this Sears/Willis/John Hancock Tower/Building by adhering many 3-inch wide pieces of different patterned papers together.  Once I had a long enough piece of paper, I used my paper trimmer to make the base of the building three inches wide and tapered the sides to two inches wide at the top.

Also, the background paper I used, the Lagoon grid from the Typeset paper pack, really helped me keep my buildings and title straight on the page.  I didn't plan it that way, but it really made it easier.  I cut it 11x11, so there would be 1/2 inch of the black base showing around the edge.




When I finished the skyline, I almost didn't want to add anything else.  I was so proud of myself, and I was afraid I'd ruin it somehow.  I think I'm going to try some more skylines.  Maybe a French Quarter feel for New Orleans, and a Des Moines one with the State Capitol Dome (yes, I'm in Iowa).  San Francisco, New York, and St. Louis would be fun cities to try too.  If I make this a two-page layout, I think I would try to come up with some kind of Wrigleyville theme, with maybe the Ferris wheel from Navy Pier. 

All the elements of the page are sparingly edged with CTMH Cranberry ink.  I think it helps tie all the competing patterns together.

The bottom border is from this punch for EK Success.  It's CTMH Pacifica cs, which is in some of the Elemental cs and also brings out the Cubbie blue in my daughter's sweatshirt.  It represents Lake Michigan, or the Chicago River, or both.  The "2008" shown in this picture is from the retired CTMH stamp set "Save the Date."  I used Colonial White ink on black cs.

I didn't want a huge title drawing too much attention to itself, so I used CTMH's "Vintage Type" stamp set for the letters and punched them out with a 1/2-inch punch (edged in Cranberry ink.)
The completed page again.  The black mat is flat on the page, and then the white mat with photo (all edged in Cranberry ink) are raised with dimensional adhesive.  

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing layout! I think you should frame it and put it on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing layout! I think you should frame it and put it on the wall!

    ReplyDelete