Welcome to My Blog!

Hi! Thanks for visiting! If you have a blog or other favorite website you'd like me to check out, let me know! And, please, comment on my posts--I'd like to hear from you.
--Ms. Molly



Monday, November 24, 2014

Glittery Canvas Ornaments

 
Christmas is a perfect time to use and overuse glitter!  The inspiration for this ornament came from Beth Quinn.  I saw an ornament she made on Pinterest that had the same sentiment and lots of glitter.  Our ornaments are quite different (hers is fancier for sure), but I believe in giving credit where it's due, so to see Beth's 2010 blog post with her ornament, click HERE.  Thank you for the inspiration, Beth!
 
I made my little glittery ornament, which is far prettier in person, using a tiny 2" x 2" canvas from Michael's.  First I covered it in gesso.
Then I added a snowflake to the corner and trimmed off the excess.
 
I covered the whole thing in gel medium.
 
Then, with my finger,
I dappled on modeling cream all over the canvas, leaving some areas raised, and creating basically a lumpy surface.  I used a shimmering champagne color that's more cream than the yellow it looks like in my photos.
 
Then, probably because my hands were so messy, I quit taking photos.  My next step was adding lots of big, course glitter.  I used Twinklets Diamond Dust.  I added a layer of Modge Podge (the classic clear glossy kind) on top.  Then I printed and cut out the words "She Loves Christmas" individually.  I adhered the words with Modge Podge, then added just a little bit of ultra fine iridescent silvery white glitter. I coated the whole thing again with Modge Podge.  In between most of these steps, I used my heat tool to speed up the drying process. 
 
Here's the finished look, up close:
The snowflake just barely shows through all the glitter and modeling paste.
 
On the back I added the date with my date stamp.  I spread a layer of Modge Podge, attached a piece of ribbon for the hanger, and added just a bit more glitter.  Lastly, I covered the back with one final coating of Modge Podge.
 
 
I'm probably going to make several versions of these ornaments, and maybe some beachy ones too.

No comments:

Post a Comment