Welcome to My Blog!

Hi! Thanks for visiting! If you have a blog or other favorite website you'd like me to check out, let me know! And, please, comment on my posts--I'd like to hear from you.
--Ms. Molly



Sunday, August 18, 2013

Parrothead Tailgate Frame

It's Jimmy Buffett concert time again for my group of Iowa Parrotheads.  We're road tripping to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, next weekend for our annual Jimmy Buffett concert at Alpine Valley, tailgating, and whatever other shenanigans we can get ourselves involved in.  A couple years ago, I decided to get creative and made a woodburned shot glass oar, which you can see HERE
 
This year, I decided to come up with one of the photo-booth type frames that are everywhere right now.  Here's the end result:
It turned out great and was SO easy.
 
I started with a plain, unfinished frame from Michael's.  I used a coupon, of course.  Then I spray painted it pink:
After the pink was dry, I went over it again with some glitter spray paint for some extra glitz.  You can see the sparkle in this close-up:
 
Then to decorate.  I picked up a few extras, but mostly used beachy odds and ends I've been accumulating [hoarding] forever.  Everything was attached with a hot glue gun.
That's an old CTMH catty I use for glue messes.  When the page is too sticky, I just turn to the next page.  I think I got this idea from the stamp goddess herself, Tresa Black.  If it wasn't her, she probably deserves a shout out for some other idea someone has stolen from her anyway.  :)
 
I painted the little attached sign (also purchased unfinished) with a bright green craft paint, then I sponged on just a little CTMH White Daisy pigment ink for more of a beachy feel. 
 
The shark fin and blue "waves" behind the green sign are cut from fun foam.  The fin was cut from the thickest white foam I could find so it would stand up, then I inked it with CTMH Slate ink.
 
I put the date small and a little away from the letters.  Later, if I want to re-use the frame, I can add a new date over the top or repaint that area.  The shells and starfish are from my stash of stuff.  Along with the drink umbrella and shot glass.
 
Close-ups of the other sections of the frame:
The plastic margarita glass is full-sized, but the flip-flops are child-sized,  I added the flowers and pearls to the tops.
 
 
I made the clock with a clock-face sticker I found at Michaels in the clockworks aisle, and I stuck it on some chipboard I painted bright yellow.  The hands are also pieced of chipboard, and a flower and beach-like glass center cover the spot the hands meet.  The anchor and palm tree are prepainted pieces from Michaels.  The shark is a rubber toy.
 
The parrot is another rubber toy.  The lei is something from a previous year, and I glued it strategically so it wouldn't get in the way.  I wrapped twine around the frame to look like rope and glued on more shells and flowers.
 
Here's another look at the finished frame.  Fins Up!
Now to see how well it travels to Margaritaville.  I'll post some pics of our gang posing with the frame after next weekend.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! I was there on Saturday too :) I'm looking for some new fun additions to next years tailgate and I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I hope you had as much fun as we did. Sorry you didn't get your picture taken in the frame! The Buffett camera took video of us in it, but we didn't make it to the big screen during Changes in Latitudes. :( It was still a blast as usual. Fins Up!

      Delete
    2. Katie, also make sure to check out the shot glass oar I made a few years ago. There's a link in my frame post for it or search my blog for: "oar"

      Delete
  2. I love this! I was there on Saturday too :) I'm looking for some new fun additions to next years tailgate and I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I was there on Saturday too :) I'm looking for some new fun additions to next years tailgate and I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I was there on Saturday too :) I'm looking for some new fun additions to next years tailgate and I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete