The last couple of years, I've really started liking Halloween--not in the cute ghosts or childlike trick or treat style, but the creepy, skulls & voodoo doll style Halloween.
We'll be in New Orleans again for Halloween, this time with our whole Parrothead gang, taking in all the entertainment, food, and libations connected with any time spent in the Crescent City, and I've already made a layout for a picture not yet taken.
I just finished the layout, then decided to check out what the H2H Challenge is for this week, and it happened to be "Doodling," so since I doodled on the edges of the layout corners, I thought "two birds/one stone" and went ahead and tacked it onto that challenge blog.
I started with a plain piece of CTMH black cs. I used Dylusions orange and white paint and stencils for the background. Ever since I was fortunate to attend a few Dyan Reavely classes this summer, I've been obsessed with using her Dylusions line, so I thought it would make a great background for a creepy layout. I let the painted background dry for a couple days (I only needed 24 hours, but I just didn't get back to it before today). I added the white "doodling" a/k/a scribbles on the upper right and lower left corners using a Uniball Signo broad gel pen.
The white mat started as a pristine 5" x 7" piece of CTMH white daisy cs, then I distressed it with black CTMH ink and drew some black scribbles/doodling in the corners (these are hard to see after I topped it with the orange B&T paper). I also crinkled the corners to make them look well worn.
The orange B&T is a little bit smaller than 5" x 7" (I didn't measure). I distressed it with brown ink and attached it at an angle. (I think it might be paper from Little Yellow Bicycle, but I'm not sure--it was in my unorganized stash of Halloween papers.)
The ribbon is CTMH's black striped grosgrain, and I applied it with Scor-Tape. I ran a long piece of tape on the layout, then twisted the ribbon as I put it down, so it's all messy. I added some small pieces of tape here and there and folded the ribbon over onto itself to keep it in place. I purposely left the ribbon ends frayed.
The rose was made with CTMH's Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge. It was very pretty, then I smashed it flat and even tore it a bit and distressed it with black ink. The tulle is also from CTMH. The three misc. brads and two stick pins are old CTMH embellishments from my stash that are happy to finally have a home, I'm sure.
The metal embellishment is from Tim Holtz, and the "Scary" insert is a sticker from Little Yellow Tricycle.
Here's the finished layout again:
Now I just need an awesome photo from the French Quarter on Halloween, and it's done! I'm sure I'll post it again once I do have that perfect picture.